Sunday 1 March 2015

Seascape and preparing boards

I prepped about a dozen boards yesterday morning, different sizes, different formats.  Some with tissue glued on, some gessoed, some with texture paste, and some with a mix of more than one surface. I put these surfaces onto heavy, all media, cartridge paper, which I then glue to mountboard.  I also added more paint to my 'table papers'  and glued these to boards, so I now have plenty to work on.

The 'table papers' are large sheets of the same heavy, all media, cartridge paper that I cover my work table with.  When they get messy, I use up the paint on my palette and scrape or brush or roller it over the papers.  This means they are usually dark, sometimes a bit muddy, but I add a little more paint if I need to.  They make great 'beginnings'.  Sometimes it's difficult to start on a pristine white board or paper, and one that already has paint on and was lining my work table just doesn't give the same stress.

I then painted a few seascapes yesterday afternoon,  using a few of my 'new' prepped boards.  I wanted to try out different ways of painting, in a very loose, stress-free way, so I painted six different ones with the idea that if one was good, then I had had a great day.  I actually ended up with three that I really like, and three OK ones that I will work on with dry media.

This painting is on a board prepped with gesso and a little pumice powder sprinkled onto the wet gesso through an old tea strainer.



'Sailing' acrylic on board, 22 x 8 inch

Just in case anyone is interested, I glue the papers to mountboard with PVA glue.  I use a spreader to put the PVA on the board, and use plenty as the board tends to soak it up.  I then use a clean spreader (or old credit card) to carefully smooth the paper, trying to exclude any air bubbles by starting in the middle and working out.   I stack the boards with wax paper in between and pile a load of books on top to make sure that they dry flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment