Monday 10 August 2015

New collage work

I have started doing some collages of seaside or fishing villages, the type that are very common along the North Yorkshire coast.  I love doing the collages of still life, and I have painted lots of the fishing villages, but never done them in collage.

It has turned out to be much more difficult than I originally thought it would be.  Because I had painted them lots of times, I thought it would just flow, but it is a completely different way of working, and the paintings I have done don't necessarily lend themselves to collage.

These are two of the four I originally started with.  The top one is on some lovely handmade paper that accidentally was stained with black ink, so it needed covering over with something.  I started by using acrylic inks to cover most of the paper with colour, keeping to a minimal palette.



I then added the houses, roofs and windows, plus basic boat shapes, which can be seen more clearly on the piece below, which is on Bockingford watercolour paper.  They both need a lot more work.



I weill post again when I have worked on them a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment