I spent the week before last working on images of fishing boats. The idea originally was to work up a serious of sketches for textile work. I did several 'mood' sheets, which is something I always did for my textiles, before I started painting seriously and ended up painting more than stitching.
I have wanted to get back to stitching for months now, but I just never seem to get the time for both painting and stitching, and can never work out how to divide my time so it does work. Anyway, that's where I started when I did these.
These are some of the mood sheets - I like to collage my photographs, scans of my previous work, both actual and in sketchbooks, and texture/colour from old magazines until I get the right 'feel'.
These are photos, plus some lovely imagery I found in an old National Geographic magazine. I like to alter the magazine imagery a little by using white spirit on paper towel, gently rubbing to disturb the ink.
This one was similar to the one above, but I then used some oil painting, drawing with the tube, to add marks, and also splattered some acrylic ink in places.
The last one is the cover of a sketchbook I made- it was meant to contain all the works from these sessions, but the size of the works ran away with me, and also I am quite pleased with some of the work, so will be framing it. I think I will print out the work and mount it into the book, adding more marks if I feel like it needs it.