Wednesday 22 April 2015

Window shoppers

Started this painting yesterday on the theme of window shoppers.  I'm quite pleased with it and I think the whole subject has great potential.  I may try for younger figures on the next painting. I think the shop number would be better at 60 rather than 50 (or even 70) for these grey-haired retail therapy lovers.

Window Shoppers, acrylic,10 x 12 inch

I enjoyed painting it and that's the main thing.  I like to work in this loose, expressive style, but still worry that I should be spending hours getting things just right rather than dashing pieces like this off in under two hours.  I suppose most artists are like that, never happy with the results.

And for those who don't know, 'clouts' in Yorkshire and Lancashire too I think, are clothes, as in the old adage "ne'r cast a clout 'til May is out", which translates as "Never cast off any clothing until the May blossom is on the trees and the weather is warmer".

No comments:

Post a Comment